Why We Long To Be Welcomed

last class.
Seemingly an oasis so to speak.
I went to my General Chemistry Class to give my summative test for the mastery assessment of my STEM class.
I underwent colds and fever yesterday so i felt not so well in coming up the third floor.
As i was walking towards the room, one of my students waited for me at the lobby of the third floor and then seemingly signalling his classmates that i am approaching the room.

I saw them smiling at me. As i opened the door, omeone finger point their works on the board. To my surprise, it was a very artistic and well drawn Welcome greetings which says, "Welcome Back Teacher John" with matching very funny names and symbols in sciences. I was caught amazed and speechless for a while.

To my thinking: where the heck did i go to let them greet me, "welcome back", This might be an exageration or just a past time for them. Well, i know STEM, they were quiet sometimes but they were true and kind students.I just realized that maybe, my STEM students might just  really missed my presense since i did not have much time for the Grade 11 for this semester due to many conflicts in schedule and tasks.

I was very touched by their sincere gratitude to welcome me in the class even though i really do not leave them. i was moved by this simple act of thoughtfulness that my STEM students given me. This simple moments will be treasured forever.

having experienced this, a random thought came to my mind; I asked myself, "Why do we feel happy when we are welcomed? " In coming into a new residence or meeting new acquaintance, there might be hesitations in your part but when someone welcomes you, then your nervousness dissipates and you act normally and comfortably.

Peace Pose
Right After the Summative Test
Buhay Pa naman Sila! haha =) 

I listed some reasons I thought of on "why do we seemingly long to be welcomed", Here are as randomly follows:

1. we want to be accepted

  •  When you felt that you are accepted in the group, the barriers of individuality dissipates and becomes a  pleasant experience for someone. When someone knows being accepted, he/she begins to accept others too. They participate and purposefully listen to other people with a comfortable heart.

2. we want to be appreciated
  • It is one of the needs of people. Everyone wants to be appreciated. This is more than a material gift. The feelings of a person being appreciated is being uplifted and the self esteem becomes high. In otherwords, When we experience appreciation, we feel good about ourselves. We feel that we can contribute to the group and your presence makes a difference to aybody.
3. we want to be recognized
  • Being recognized is not similar to being accepted, Being recognized means being able to be addressed in the way that people respect us. It also means being able to be in charge and act accordingly, There may be no greater happiness that counts when you felt being respected. When people recognized you, then people knows that you are a person who can take charge and be a better asset to the group. 
4. we want to be part of the family
  • of course, no one wants to be a black sheep of the group. Evreyone wants to be part of something bigger than themselves. That is why people would like to be part of several organizations. The concept of a family is like being cared and being loved for being together. It is a need to become part of a family. 
5. We want to be touched and welcome others too.
  • I remember my best friend way back in high school who asked me if i have eaten my lunch already. I answered him not yet. But from that time, i see to it that i will also ask him the same thing. I was touched and so i also want him to be touched and express my gratitude towards our friendship. When someone felt welcome to something, he/ she will also do the same with others.
Happiness With STEM Students
"Welcome Back Teacher John"
These are my reflections why do we long to be welcomed. 
I reflected this due to the welcoming gestures of my STEM students just awhile ago before we took the Summative test.
This story is just a part of so many stories that i was being welcomed in my life. Sadly i wasn't able to write about some of it. I was really touched and i also want to welcome others to let them feel accepted, appreciated, recognized, part of the family and touched to welcome others too.

Now i turned to you, were you able to Welcome Others in your Life? 

Good Night.

_Nosred

Comments