MAD happens for a reason

Everything happens for a reason. I pinned it already in my mind and it became one of my life mantras which i always bear wherever i go. Joining in MAD was never an accident. I believed it was very well planned with the divine intervention, and that rooted from my wishful thoughts and prayer to make my life become more meaningful and be a channel of change.

I am John Derson, a Student Affairs Coordinator in Golden Link College and I was very much pleased when MADtalks started making a difference in our school. I had another commitments during that time but since i got my free time, i was able to visit the hall where they were conducting the session. I was very stunned by how the students responded to them. All of them felt so inspired with teary eyes and i told myself, "wait a minute.. this group of young professionals was not a joke."
I am MAD in GLC, March 10, 2018


I have been working with students and teachers in organizing events, making purposeful initiatives, inspiring and empowering the children and the youth to achieve the holistic education the school wanted and here they are, doing more than I can expect a group of people can do to make the students be inspired to achieve their dreams and reach out to help others. I found similarities of objectives between the school, myself and MAD. Christian Rivero, one of the founders of MAD talked about their venture in starting the organization. It was a humble start with a passion and belief that anyone can make a difference in the lives of others. Even a youth can make a big change in the society, family and themselves. Christian, highlighted the spirit of volunteerism. He packaged the message with a millennial fashion-- which really transcends into the heart of our younger generations who are very much soaked into social fame.

The Mantra "Nagmahal, Nasaktan, Nagvolunteer" became an inescapable truth to all. I am MAD, acknowledges the preface of all people. We all love and get hurt, we feel down and where do we find our sanctuary? I am MAD says through "volunteerism". It might sound peculiar but the truth is we heal our hearts by healing others, we find our happiness through giving happiness to others and we regain love through loving others.

I am MAD encourages individuals to be catalysts of change and to make a difference in their own little or great ways. I am MAD pushes everyone to start a movement of being a channel of love. Imbibing the sense of genuine care to others: To love God and Be a volunteer for someone who needs.

I am MAD makes us realize that our life really matters and it has a purpose. We do not just live by accident, We were born to make this world a better place and the entire universe will help us realize that we were on the right track.

Kaya naman, I am MAD na!!!

Right after the MAD Session of some volunteers in the school. Something popped out in my mind that lingered every night when i sleep. it was as if my conscience was talking to me, whispering " Hey John, Join them.". I have been involved in so many volunteering activities in the past but that calling was something very powerful and I could not help but to listen and abode on it. May 12, I formally expressed my intention to join in the movement and i was overwhelmed by their warm welcome. After that, I feel so spirited and excited to start the MAD camp and luckily, the camp was situated at Laiban, Rizal, quite nearer to my area compared to other MAD camp locations.

May 25, the first day of the camp. Everyone was so excited and very delighted. Just like soulmates who just found each other. Everyone was hugging and smiling. We came from different areas around Luzon but as if we already knew each other. All my co-volunteers appeared to be very warm and amicable, we began teasing each other and making fun together.

I am MAD welcomed by the Municipal Office of Rizal,
Graced and Inspired by their attending officers.

The Municipal Office lent us truck to access Laiban Rizal.
We come across 9 shallow rivers just to reach the area.
We headed up to the Rizal Municipal Office and we were welcomed by the City officers. We were very pleased by their support. The office of the Mayor lent us truck to reach the small city of Laiban. We came across nine shallow rivers (because it was summer) and rode for an hour. The view was very inspiring. Since I considered myself as a naturalist, I appreciated the organic bouncy path and the panoramic view of the mountains and rivers. Even though we were dried up under the sun. We were laughingly enjoying the moment.

The spirit of "Bayanihan" lingered even in eating together.
Volunteers enjoying our first Lunch together
before the activity started.
Volunteers working together in preparing for activities.


As we reached the community. The children were already assembled. We met some youth leaders and some parents as we communicate our goals and expectations. After setting up and taking a few rest. We started from introducing ourselves. The entire group was very dynamic, everyone was very interested to listen from one another. I discovered that we have nurse, doctor, segment producer, IT specialist, office staff, accountants, company managers and many more. I felt uplifted when i discovered that we had another teacher in the group aside from me. Most of us shared that we do not expected anything from the camp and we just want to make a difference. One of the senior volunteers mentioned the topmost uniqueness of MAD, and that was being very flexible and spontaneous and does not conform to a certain fixed flow. The leaders emphasized that everyone was allowed to share if it was coming from the heart. They said that "If it comes from the heart, nothing is wrong, and everything will be alright". The team leaders explained to us the flow of the camp and When everything was set up. We were now on the go.

The group started to hurdle and conducted the first activity. For the sake of confidentiality of the flow and to keep the element of surprise, I will not mention the activities we conducted. Instead, i will share my observed effects of those activities we had to the children and the youth as well as to ourselves--volunteers:

The camp was divided into two sessions; Initially for children who were in grade 4-6 and lastly for the youth and young professionals. The intentions for the children session were to inspire the children to dream and value the dream of others, They were also taught  some valuable lessons through following individual commitments which develop good personality and right habits, The children were also encouraged to read books and discover the value of going to school. More importantly, the children were also inspired to be appreciative to the sacrifices of their parents. The MAD camps activity were designed to foster these intentions. As volunteer, i cant help but to feel affected by the conditions of the children. I discovered potentials and talents and even though i want to groom them, all i can was to inspire them, and so i felt so emotional when the children session ended up and one of the few children i got touched approached while crying and saying "Kuya JD, Thank you po." My heart melted fast and i suddenly hugged her, saying "Tutuparin mo ang pangarap mo ha, alam ko kaya mo yan" You should fulfill your dreams dear, i know you can do it". It was a hard time letting her go, but i have to, all i did after was to send her good thoughts and prayer.

Children crying for appreciating the efforts of their parents.

Yours truly experiencing happiness in playing with the children.

Children writing letters for their parents and guardians.


Right after a day of MAD camp for Children, The team organized a session for the youth and young professionals. It's called MADTalks, wherein volunteers are randomly expressing the passion and happiness through volunteering. Here it was heart warming and everyone felt so emotional. The speakers who were volunteers really had a big heart to share their life experiences which turned to be very inspirational. The flow of the discussion was very moving and i cant help but to cry as well. The intention for this MADTalks was to encourage each individual, young or adult to be the change and make a difference in the lives of others positively. Through this session, the volunteers were encouraging all of the Filipinos to revive the quality of "pagbabayanihan" or brotherhood. Volunteers appeal to tap each one another to care and love more. To be victors and not victims. To be a part of a solution and not a problem. The session ended up with emotional hugs and laughters but all of us really felt so energized and inspired.

MADtalks group photo with the teenagers of Laiban.

In the night, the excitement of volunteerism never ended. This was i think one of the precious moments i would really treasure as part of the MAD. Here we lifted each other with encouraging words and reflections which we shared to everyone. As if we do not wanted to sleep anymore because the spirit of volunteerism were really heated up. We play games, we exchanges ideas and we build and motivate each one. Friendship were established and the more that we are comfortable to make a difference together the other day.


Exciting and crazy MAD night.
The volunteers' night to rekindle passion.

The last day was the bonus peak, since we ended up from a full work and service for the children and youth. Part of the MAD camps was to treasure the moments together through visiting beautiful places and enjoy. Before we went home. I saw the smiles on each one. I saw the happiness within, and I saw the willingness of everybody to venture in volunteering again and again.

Joy Ride

Daranak Falls

Paglinawan Cove

I believe that this part of my life was never an accident. I believe that the divine really put me with these group of people. It was not an accident that MAD started to reach out to our school. It never became an accident that i was there at the session. It was there to tap my heart to serve with the people to whom i can share my passions and aspirations with.

Group photo with the batang Laiban with their parents
and some barangay officials

I will value all the things i learned and realized in this camp and i will be more than willing to share the experiences i got to others. Indeed, MAD happens for a reason, and that is to serve.

_nosredjohn


P.S. But wait there is more!!!

MAD dinner with these great peeps!

Picture with the Idol.
Kuya Christian

The Volunteers Smile!!!
ang mga ngitian ng mga
NAGMAHAL,
NASAKTAN,
AT
MASAYANG NAGVO-VOLUNTEER!!!















Comments