The robbers and Me

"Near-death experiences". That was how i would describe my experiences when I get caught by these very gloomy incidents which i never thought would really happen to me. I am a very adventurous person but never in my wildest mind have i imagined being a victim of this event. In these somber events, I lost three cellphones and nearly, my life. To go straight, I was once a victim of robbery. 4 times to be exact. Each experience was really insane and until now i am still wondering why out of billions of people in the world, I, myself had four times of these nightmares.

You would expect me to be very fearful or frightened at the moment. That was how i also expected myself to behave. But, i was surprised by how i managed to be calm and be strong despite the risk.

Let me tell you some glimpse of my experiences which i could still recover in my mind. The remnants of the experiences were still fresh as I reminisce those events which will never fade until i die:

First Incident: The cry of a Man

It was 2010, and the election for the next president and local leaders of our city was really boiling. I was a college student that time going home from the school when i passed by the auditorium where a candidate was sharing his platforms for our baranggay. After an hour, i walked a few meters and suddenly from my behind came a man putting his arms around my neck and whispering "Never shout or else i will pierce you!" I saw his left arm with an arm band covering an inch of double sided blade. It was pointing on my side gut. I felt the hurting sensations and i told him. "What have i done wrong to you". He whispered, " Just give me your cellphone and wallet and i will let you free." During that time, i was using my father's phone which he really liked and i knew he will be really angry at me if i will give it to the robber. After a moment i decided to give him the phone. I looked at his eyes straightly and he suddenly turn his look away. I noticed that this man was not really bad. When giving him my phone, i started to talk with him. I started by asking him if i could get my sim card and memory from the phone. He agreed and he let me get it. There were tricycle drivers at far so he could not just free me, instead he told me not to move and he asked me to walk while his arms were still around my neck and i could still feel the hurting at my gut due to the pointing double sided blade.

I told him that he do not need to pursue pointing the blade on me. I will not shout or fight at him. I also added that i understand his situations and i know that whatever it was, it might be very important for him to do this desperate act. Instantly, his eyes turn into red, and he began crying. He tried to say something with a crack voice, "I am sorry", the robber silently whispered. " I just need money going to my mother who is sick right now" he added.  My heart melted and i was confused with what i felt. He said " I will just return this phone to you". I was shocked and it turned around everything. I told him that if ever i could have money, i would like to lend him. I asked him to wait for me to get 200 pesos to help him and see me at the church in the afternoon. Then, we depart ways with a strange feeling.

When i went home, I told my father about the incident and as expected he was very angry, He told me to draw the face of the robber i encountered and so i did. He also accompanied me to blotter a case against the robber. Although it was very hard on me, I followed what my father said.

I was standing at the church waiting for the robber, while four policemen were wearing like an ordinary passersby with an intention to seize him when he comes. After an hour, i saw him looking at me at far, and when he noticed me looking at him. He suddenly run and i never see him again.

Second Incident: "Peace be with You!"

I was going home from the church and peacefully walking along the wet market, recalling the homily about being the channel of peace to others, when i passed by the dark corner of the area. Out of the blue, a dark guy tried to engulf me with his arms and suddenly pointed a kitchen knife, about two inches wide and 6 inches long, at my heart, between my rib bones. I had my reflex so i suddenly hold the knife very strongly not to penetrate in. He angrily said " Take off your hands or i will kill you" I know already that his intention was to get my things, i told him that i do not have money. He said he do not care about the money, he would like to get my Cell phone. I was struggling to control my hands from being sliced and i can totally feel the gritting movement but i decided not to let my hands off. I got this thinking that perhaps when he sees that my hands were in blood, he might run away. We were grappling with each other and i started to lose hope when i noticed that he became dominant and i am losing my strength already. I closed my eyes and prayed for moment and to my surprise... He forcibly pull the knife off my hands and i felt lighter, I thought my fingers were down on the floor because it might just be sliced but i was wrong. When i opened my eyes, I saw the metal still in my hands, no blood and i was still holding it firmly. I looked at him and his face was fainting. He was holding the handle of knife which was separated from the blade. he was holding the handle and i was holding the blade. You might predict my initial reaction. as a self defense i tried to mimic the Hulk while pointing the knife to him. he suddenly fell on the ground and as fast as the batman, he ran, and got lost in the dark.

Third Incident: As Quick as The Air

I was walking from my work in school. I came across an elementary school. I was using my earphones listening to my favorite music that time "Para sa akin" by Sitti, when i noticed that the music stopped. As i tried to get my phone in my pocket. There was none. That's it.


Fourth Incident: The Movie Scene

I was working as a call center agent. I bought my dream cellphone from my savings, it was the latest Oppo brand with good specs. One early morning at about 3 AM, I was going to work with my mother,  because she was heading to somewhere also, when we saw a group of young men sitting on the side of the street. We thought that they were just staying there to buy "pandesal" but we were wrong. When we come across them, one of them stood up and pointed a gun (45 caliber gun) on my side body and the guy said " give me your bag", then at the back came two other guys holding my mother while pointing a knife on her neck, it was very shocking to me so i suddenly dropped my bag and gave my phone and told them to just let my mother go and keep us safe and we will not shout until they were gone. so they did and we run back to our baranggay captain and reported the incident. Luckily the guys were identified and killed at Quezon City. however, my things never came back. I felt so pity with their lost lives and the more when i thought that it was just because of wanting to get something they did not deserve. I thought they faced karma and i felt sorry for them.

You may find it like a fairy tale, but i was lucky to experience this dangerous fantasy. My life may have been gone from those times. But, look i am still here. With these experiences i bear all the time, I am happy to say, that i have been robed and i survived. Perhaps, life gave those experiences to let me think of something; To realize that life is so precious and it is also very vulnerable by which you need to protect it. Life is full of juggles, You may face the strangest of challenges or the simplest of all. The most important is how you act and respond to any situations. Be the captain of your heart and keep calm. I hope the fourth one will be the last because i dont want to write another one again about the chronicles of the robbers and me.

_nosred

Comments