What is Theosophy?


I was just a simple student of Science in the days when I discovered theosophy. I was a scholar in College when I was assigned to clean a library in Quezon City. It was not to my knowledge that the building was the headquarters of the Theosophical Society in the Philippines, and what I was cleaning were the collections of books on perennial philosophy, science, and spirituality. I stayed in the library, and even slept in it overnight for three days. There, I opened a book and got to discover topics which I at first thought were just myths and mere fruits of imagination.

My journey of search on theosophy broadened when I was introduced to the study of Theosophy as part of the institutional subjects I took in college. It created a stir in my basic understanding of the world, and it helped me to understand basic philosophy and even study the fundamentals of religion. I realized that theosophy was not a topic to entertain the mind, but a profound philosophy and a very good compass in determining the truth about life.

Theosophy, as defined by its prominent founding members, Helena P. Blavatsky and Henry Olcott, is a very deep ancient wisdom coming from the so-called "Masters", or the ancient teachers who have come across our world to eclipse our superficial and skewed understanding of spirituality. Theosophy teaches the existence of a single divine absolute and the divine principles that must be understood and applied to realize it. In the very essence, theosophy teaches that the purpose of human life is its spiritual emancipation or freedom and claims that the human soul undergoes reincarnation or the process of rebirth according to the process of karma, or the universal law of cause and effect. It promotes values of universal brotherhood, unity, and compassion of all beings and the inclination to personal and social maturity and progress.

I understand that the concept of Theosophy was logically sound, but it was too deep and so conflicting with the usual religious and social foundations with which I was introduced since I was young. Due to this, I continued my diligent search. I intentionally joined spiritual groups and practiced meditation, which helped me to reflect that there is a big difference between religiosity and spirituality.

Religiosity, by definition, is a personal set or institutionalised system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices; the service and worship of God or the supernatural, hoping for one's existence to be of good fate. Spirituality, on the other hand, connotes an experience of connection to something larger than an individual, living everyday life in a reverent and sacred manner.

I found out that both are important and may serve better in one way or the other, but I also understand that between the two, religiosity often leads an individual into conflict with their own values and the values of others. One of the cruelest parts in our history is the war and conflicts against religions, and it does not justify some of its main goals--love and compassion. On the other hand, there are a few people who have practiced spirituality and have lived even more peaceful and compassionate lives. These are people who have devoted their lives to developing a better understanding or wisdom and service to humanity, putting the distinction of religions secondary or even unimportant.

Understanding theosophy makes me learn spirituality more. It does not encourage dogmatism but an inquisition on diligent search for truth. Theosophy emphasises the value of self-progression and maturity to attain a certain level of wisdom. There are many paths that an individual can practice with a goal to step up the ladder and gain better states of consciousness. These paths, so long as pure, cannot be compared to others, even though there are principles which should be observed, spiritual experiences are very personal and may differ among individuals.

Theosophy is a very broad topic to discuss, but a very significant thing to know in this lifetime. I consider that exposure to theosophy depends on the readiness of an individual to go through an individual spiritual journey, otherwise expedited with a will to discover a better understanding and wisdom. Theosophy is a science, a philosophy, and a wiser religion, if religion is backed to its definition of "linking back to the source".

As I end, I would like to introduce this quotation from William Q Judge, a devoted theosophist and he said: 


"Theosophy is that ocean of knowledge which spreads from shore to shore of the evolution of sentient beings; unfathomable in its deepest parts, it gives the greatest minds their fullest scope, yet shallow enough at its shores, it will not overwhelm the understanding of a child. It is wisdom about God for those who believe that he is all things and in all, and wisdom about nature for the man who accepts the statement found in the Christian Bible that God cannot be measured or discovered, and that darkness is around his pavilion. . . . Embracing both the scientific and the religious, Theosophy is a scientific religion and a religious science."
 
_JD

Comments