Is Self-Reflection Important?


The Actual Library Bell in my Office



















In my office as a Student Affairs Officer, I keep a small library bell on my desk. At first glance, it might seem like a simple object—ordinary, even trivial—compared to the stacks of documents, student files, and administrative folders that surround me each day. Yet to me, this bell has become something more. It is not just an office accessory or a decoration; it is a reminder, a ritual, and sometimes, a mirror of life itself. Every morning, before the rush of students and paperwork begins, I ring it once. Its sound—clear, sharp, and surprisingly soothing—fills the room. In that moment, I tell myself, “It’s time to focus. It’s time to serve.” And when the day ends, after meetings, emails, and countless small decisions, I ring it again. The second sound feels different—softer, gentler. It marks closure, like a book being gently closed after an intense chapter. This little ritual helps me transition from the world of work to the world of home, from duty to rest.

But one afternoon, something unexpected happened. As I packed my things, I rang the bell as usual—but this time, the sound startled me. It wasn’t the clear, resonant tone I was used to. It was dull, muted, almost as if the bell itself were tired. I frowned. “Strange,” I thought. “Did it break? Did the metal wear down?” My curiosity led me to look closely. And there, wedged inside the hollow of the bell, was a small, crumpled piece of paper—probably blown in from the open window. I gently removed it and rang the bell again. Ding! The sound was back—bright, crisp, alive. This time, I didn’t just hear it. I listened. I paused to feel the vibration, to notice the stillness that followed, to appreciate the simple beauty of its restored clarity. And in that quiet moment, a realization struck me: human beings are much like that bell.

At our core, we are naturally clear, good, and harmonious. Each of us carries within an innate capacity for kindness, wisdom, and compassion. Like the bell, we are designed to resonate with truth and beauty. But just as the bell’s sound was distorted by a tiny piece of paper, our inner clarity can also be blocked by small things that get “stuck” inside us—fear, anger, resentment, guilt, disappointment, jealousy, or old pain. These inner obstructions may seem small, but they dull our natural tone. They do not change who we are at the core, but they distort how we express ourselves—how we speak, how we react, how we relate to others, and even how we hear our own inner sound.

I remember a time when a misunderstanding with a colleague left me quietly resentful. On the surface, I remained polite and professional. But inside, I carried tension. I replayed the incident in my head, crafting silent arguments, defending myself in imaginary conversations. That silent resentment was like the piece of paper inside the bell. I didn’t realize how much it was affecting me until students began noticing I was less approachable. I wasn’t my usual calm and cheerful self. The resentment dulled my natural tone. It was only after I took time to reflect—to honestly confront what I felt, to forgive both my colleague and myself—that I felt light again. The moment I let go, I felt a literal shift, as if something heavy had been lifted from my chest. Like the bell, my sound returned—bright, genuine, and free.

This is where the importance of self-reflection becomes evident. Self-reflection is like inspecting the bell. It is the quiet, deliberate act of checking within and asking: What is blocking me right now? What am I carrying that no longer serves me? What do I need to let go of to return to my authentic self? When we reflect, we see what is weighing us down. Through mindfulness, prayer, journaling, or simply quiet awareness, we can remove the obstructions—those emotional “papers” that distort our inner sound. And just as I appreciated the bell’s clear tone even more after restoring it, we often value our authentic selves more deeply after we have gone through the process of renewal.

In my years as a teacher, I’ve witnessed how powerful this practice can be. I often require my students to keep a reflection notebook after each lesson or experience. When I check their work, I don’t simply grade for neatness or completeness. I look for moments of insight—those honest realizations that reveal growth. I once read a student’s entry that said, “I realized I don’t need to be perfect to be valuable. I just need to keep improving.” Another wrote, “I used to think failure meant I wasn’t good enough. Now I see it’s part of learning.” Those words, simple yet profound, showed that these young people were beginning to remove their inner blocks—fear, self-doubt, and pride—and rediscover their natural tone of confidence and self-acceptance. It is deeply rewarding to see them uncover courage, humility, or gratitude within themselves—virtues that were always there but hidden beneath layers of insecurity.

For me, self-reflection is like peeling a fruit. Imagine a banana: we cannot enjoy its sweetness without first removing the peel. The peel protects the fruit, yes, but to savor it, we must set the peel aside. In life, we carry layers too—layers of fear, pride, doubt, distraction, and conditioning. They are not inherently bad. In fact, they once protected us from pain or rejection. But as we grow, we must learn when to let them go. To taste the sweetness of life—joy, peace, and clarity—we must peel away what no longer serves us. Early in my career, I was determined to prove myself. I wanted to appear competent and knowledgeable, to show that I belonged in my position. So whenever I faced challenges, I rarely asked for help. I told myself, “I can handle this alone.” But over time, I noticed that this need to appear strong created distance between me and others. My colleagues saw me as capable—but not approachable. I realized I had wrapped myself in a thick peel of pride. One day, a senior mentor said something that struck me: “You don’t have to know everything. What makes a leader strong is the courage to admit when they don’t.” That insight peeled away a layer of fear. I began asking for feedback, collaborating more, and even admitting when I didn’t have answers. The result was surprising: my relationships deepened, my stress lessened, and my confidence became real, not performative. Self-reflection showed me that strength is not the absence of vulnerability—it’s the courage to embrace it.

Sometimes, the layers we need to peel are not pride or fear, but pain. A student once came to me after a disciplinary hearing. He had broken several rules, and part of his consequence was to write a reflection essay. In his paper, he confessed that his anger toward authority figures stemmed from a difficult home life. His father had abandoned him, and he projected that pain onto every adult he encountered. As he wrote and reflected, he began to understand himself—not to excuse his actions, but to see the deeper wound behind them. He later told me, “I realized I wasn’t really angry at the school. I was angry at my dad. But I can choose not to carry that anymore.” That student’s reflection didn’t just make him more obedient; it made him more whole. The peel had been lifted. The fruit—the sweetness of self-understanding—was finally tasted.

Self-reflection is not a one-time act. It’s like polishing a mirror or tuning an instrument. Dust will always return, strings will always loosen, and life will always throw in new pieces of paper. The key is not to stay spotless forever—it’s to stay aware and willing to renew. Each night before I sleep, I ask myself three simple questions: What am I grateful for today? What challenged me today? What can I do better tomorrow? These questions are like gentle taps on my inner bell. They remind me to check if my tone is still clear or if something small has gotten stuck. Sometimes, my reflection leads to gratitude—like appreciating a student’s effort or a kind word from a colleague. Other times, it reveals what I need to work on—like impatience or judgment. But every night, this practice leaves me lighter and more centered.

Over time, I’ve realized that the bell on my desk is not just an object—it’s a teacher in disguise. It teaches awareness—to listen carefully, not just to hear. It teaches maintenance—to care for what is precious before it breaks. It teaches balance—to begin and end each day with intention. Sometimes, I catch myself ringing it absentmindedly, and then I pause, smile, and remember: clarity is a choice I make every day.

In today’s world, we live surrounded by noise—notifications, opinions, comparisons. Our minds are constantly stimulated, yet rarely still. The modern equivalent of that piece of paper inside the bell might be a phone screen, always demanding our attention, subtly shaping how we feel about ourselves. Many young people today equate their self-worth with online validation—likes, followers, views. They may appear confident but feel empty inside. That emptiness is not new; it’s the same ancient human longing for meaning, only amplified by technology. Reflection offers an antidote. It invites us to step away from the noise, even for a few minutes a day, and ask: “What am I feeding my mind?” “Does this noise reflect my true self or distract me from it?” When we pause to listen inwardly, even amid chaos, we begin to ring true again.

Ultimately, reflection is not about perfection—it’s about progress and authenticity. It doesn’t demand that we erase our flaws, but that we understand them. It doesn’t expect constant serenity, but conscious awareness. Every honest moment with ourselves is a step toward becoming more complete. I have seen this transformation countless times—in myself, in students, in friends who take time to reflect. One student once told me after a stressful semester, “Sir, I realized I was so focused on my failures that I forgot to see how much I’ve grown.” That realization didn’t come from a lecture or a grade; it came from reflection. And that’s what makes reflection sacred—it awakens wisdom from within.

Reflection doesn’t just make us better individuals; it improves our relationships too. When we are unaware of our inner state, we project our wounds onto others. We misinterpret words, overreact to small issues, and carry emotional baggage into new relationships. But when we reflect regularly, we notice patterns like: “Why do I get easily irritated by certain people?” “Why do I fear being ignored?” “Why do I withdraw when someone disagrees with me?” Each question removes another piece of paper from the bell. Relationships then become less about ego and more about connection. I’ve seen coworkers mend long-standing misunderstandings simply because one of them took time to reflect and apologize sincerely. That’s the power of awareness—it dissolves walls faster than argument ever can.

Imagine if every person lived like a well-tuned bell—clear, calm, and harmonious. Workplaces would be more cooperative. Families would be more understanding. Schools would be less stressful and more inspiring. The world does not need more noise; it needs more clarity. Every act of self-reflection is like ringing the bell of humanity a little clearer. Each person who becomes self-aware adds harmony to the collective sound of life. And perhaps that’s the real meaning of education—not just to fill minds with facts, but to help each person hear their inner bell, to rediscover their natural tone.

In the end, that small library bell in my office continues to remind me of life’s most profound truth: even when we sound dull or distorted, our true tone still exists. It’s never lost—only covered. Self-reflection is the key that helps us uncover it. It is the gentle act of looking inward, removing what blocks us, and allowing our true sound to resonate again. When we make reflection a habit, we become clearer in thought, wiser in judgment, and more joyful in spirit. So every morning, as I ring that little bell to begin my day, I remind myself—and sometimes my students who hear it from outside my door—“This is not just the sound of a bell. This is the sound of awakening.” It tells me that no matter how complicated life gets, no matter how many papers get stuck inside, the purity of our being remains. We only need the courage to stop, look within, and listen. And when we do, we discover something beautiful: the bell was never broken. It only needed to be heard.


Note: This is a curated work and original idea and beliefs of the author, assisted by AI tools for organization, rewording and proofreading of the contents. 

Comments