If you think about yourself five years ago, what do you see?
Maybe you see a younger version of yourself with different interests, different worries, maybe even a different personality. You might remember the things you used to care about, the people you spent time with, or the goals you thought were most important.
So, are you still that same person?
The simple answer is: yes… and no.
You are the same person in some ways. You still carry your memories. You still have parts of your personality that haven’t changed. Maybe your sense of humor, your values, or the way you care for people. If your friends from five years ago saw you today, they would still recognize you.
But at the same time, you are also different.
Life changes us—sometimes slowly, sometimes suddenly.
Think about the pandemic five years ago. Many of us stayed at home, used online classes, and had limited interaction with others. That experience alone changed how we think, how we socialize, and even how we handle stress.
Maybe five years ago, you were easily affected by what others said about you. A single comment could ruin your whole day. But now, you’ve learned to let things go more easily.
Or maybe your dreams have changed. What you wanted before—your course, your career, your goals—might not be the same anymore.
And that’s okay.
Personally, five years ago, although I was teaching in the same school as I am teaching now, that time, I was not yet married. I do not have may own family yet. Having a family drastically changed my life now. I am totally a new person at that one aspect of my life.
We all have our versions of what stayed with us and what has changed .
What remain do not mean we have not improved, maybe we have deepened our perspective. The changes don’t mean we have lost who we were, it simply means we have grown.
A good way to understand this is to think of yourself like a tree.
The tree is still the same tree—but it grows new branches, loses old leaves, and becomes stronger over time. It doesn’t stay exactly the same, but it doesn’t become something completely different either.
That’s how we are.
So, are you the same person you were five years ago?
No, because your experiences have changed you—your mindset, your reactions, your goals.
Yes, because there is still a part of you that remains—the core of who you are.
Maybe the better question is not “Am I the same?”
But “How have I changed—and am I growing in the right direction?”
Because change is normal.
Growth is natural.
And what matters most is not who you were before—
but who you are becoming now.
Note: This is a curated work and original idea and beliefs of the author, assisted by AI tools for organization, rewording and proofreading of the contents.

Thank you for this, Sir JD! ✨
ReplyDelete