There are moments in my life—especially during difficult times, quiet reflections after teaching, or in the middle of important life decisions—when I ask myself a question that feels both simple and unsettling: Am I truly choosing my life, or am I just responding to forces I don’t fully see? As someone who has gone through challenges not only mentally and emotionally but also physically, this question does not remain theoretical for me. It becomes personal. It becomes real.
When we talk about free will, we usually mean the ability to choose freely—to decide our actions, our thoughts, and our direction in life. At first, this seems obvious. I choose to wake up early. I choose to go to class. I choose how I respond to my students. But when I look deeper, I begin to wonder: Are these choices really mine? Or are they shaped by my upbringing, my responsibilities, my environment, and even my past experiences?
From a philosophical point of view, there are different ways to understand this. Some believe that we have full control over our actions—that we are completely free. Others argue that everything we do is influenced, even determined, by causes beyond us: our biology, our society, our past. When I reflect on my own life, I can see both sides. For example, I chose to become a teacher. But if I am honest, that choice did not come out of nowhere. It was shaped by my experiences, my values, my struggles, and even the people who influenced me along the way. There were moments when I felt I had no choice but to continue—because of responsibilities, expectations, and survival. So I ask myself: Was it really a choice, or was I guided into it?
This is where a deeper, more spiritual perspective offers another layer of understanding. It suggests that while external forces shape our conditions, there is still something within us—a deeper self—that has the capacity to choose how we respond. In this view, we may not always control what happens to us, but we have the potential to become aware of how we act, think, and grow within those circumstances.
One idea that has helped me reflect more deeply is the concept of karma and reincarnation. It suggests that our present life is not isolated, but connected to past actions—whether in this life or even beyond it. If this is true, then some of the situations I experience may not be entirely random. The struggles, the opportunities, even the people I encounter may be part of a larger unfolding shaped by previous causes. In that sense, my “freedom” is not absolute—I am already placed within certain conditions. But at the same time, karma is not about punishment; it is about learning. It gives me the opportunity to respond differently, to grow, and to create new directions. So even if my present is influenced by the past, my response in the present can still shape my future. This makes free will feel less like total control and more like responsibility within a given path.
I also find it meaningful to reflect on how Christianity understands free will. In that perspective, humans are given freedom by God—not to do anything without consequence, but to choose between good and evil, love and selfishness, obedience and disobedience. Free will is seen as a gift, but also as a responsibility. At the same time, there is the idea that God has a plan, a kind of divine guidance over life. This creates a balance: we are free to choose, yet we are also called to align our choices with something higher. I see this in my own life when I struggle between what is easy and what is right. There are moments when I know the better choice requires patience, sacrifice, or understanding. Choosing that path does not always feel natural—but it feels meaningful.
However, if I am being honest with myself, I also find tension in this idea. I struggle to fully accept it because it seems to contain a contradiction. If God is truly all-knowing—if He already knows every choice I will make—then in what sense am I truly free? And if I am truly free to choose anything, then does that not limit the idea of an all-knowing and all-powerful God? It feels difficult to reconcile both at the same time. For me, this raises a deeper question: Is freedom real if everything is already known? This does not necessarily lead me to reject the belief, but it makes me reflect more critically. It reminds me that understanding free will, especially in relation to divine knowledge, is not simple. It requires humility and openness to mystery.
I see this tension between influence and freedom clearly in my daily life as a teacher. There are days when I am exhausted, when everything feels overwhelming. In those moments, I could easily respond with irritation or impatience. And sometimes, I do. But there are also moments when I pause—when I become aware of what I am feeling—and choose to respond differently. I choose patience. I choose understanding. That small moment may seem insignificant, but for me, it is where free will becomes real—not in controlling everything, but in becoming conscious of my response.
There was also a time when I struggled deeply—physically tired from a while day work, emotionally drained, and mentally overwhelmed. During those days, it felt like life was just happening to me. I would tell myself, “I have no choice, I need to keep going.” And in a way, that was true. But later, I realized something important: even in those moments, I still had a choice—not about the situation, but about how I understood it. I could see it as pure suffering, or I could see it as part of my growth. That shift did not change my situation immediately, but it changed how I experienced it.
This makes me think that free will is not absolute freedom. It is not the ability to control everything in life. Instead, it is the ability to become aware within the limits we are given. Yes, we are shaped by many forces—our family, our culture, our past, our struggles. These things influence us in ways we cannot ignore. But within those influences, there is still a space—a quiet space—where we can choose.
A simple example is this: two students may grow up in the same difficult environment. Both are shaped by the same conditions. Yet one chooses to give up, while the other chooses to persevere. The difference is not in the situation, but in the response. That response, I believe, is where free will exists.
In my own journey, I have also noticed the difference between acting unconsciously and acting with awareness. When I act without awareness, I am often just reacting—following habits, emotions, or pressures. But when I pause and reflect, I begin to act more intentionally. Saying “I know what I am doing” is different from being truly aware of it. Awareness gives depth to choice. It makes free will more real.
So, do we really have free will, or are we shaped by forces beyond us?
For me, the answer is not simply one or the other. We are both shaped and free. We are shaped by forces we did not choose—our past, our environment, our limitations, and perhaps even deeper patterns carried across lifetimes. But within that shaping, we are given the capacity to become aware, to reflect, and to choose our response. Free will is not about controlling everything; it is about awakening within what is given.
And perhaps that is the most meaningful realization for me—not that I am completely free, but that I am not completely powerless either. In every moment, especially the difficult ones, there is still a small space where I can choose who I become.
As I continue my journey—as a teacher, as a learner, as a person—I hold on to this thought:
Life may shape me, but awareness allows me to shape how I live it.
Note: This is a curated work and original idea and beliefs of the author, assisted by AI tools for organization, rewording and proofreading of the contents.

Comments
Post a Comment