Who Am I Beyond My Roles?

There are moments in my life as a teacher when I introduce myself simply as “Sir,” a title that carries with it authority, expectation, and a certain image that students come to recognize. 

In the classroom, I am a facilitator of ideas, a guide in philosophical inquiry, and a voice that attempts to make sense of complex truths. Outside of it, I take on other identities—colleague, friend, son, husband, a father, perhaps even a stranger in a crowded place. 

These roles are necessary; they allow society to function, to organize itself, to give structure to human interaction. Yet beneath all these labels, I often find myself returning to a question that refuses to be silenced: Who am I beyond these roles?

Philosophy teaches us to question what is commonly accepted, while Theosophy invites us to look deeper into the unseen dimensions of human existence. From this perspective, roles belong to what we may call the personality, the constructed self shaped by culture, time, and circumstance. This personality is real, but it is not ultimate. 

If I define myself solely as a teacher, what happens when I am no longer one? If a person defines themselves entirely as a parent, what remains when children grow independent? If identity is anchored only in function, then the loss or transformation of that function threatens the very sense of self. This reveals a fragile foundation, one that depends too heavily on external conditions.

There is, however, something within us that remains constant despite these changes, a silent observer, an inner witness that experiences life without being reduced to any single role. This idea is not new; it echoes across traditions. In Eastern philosophy, it is referred to as the Atman, the deeper self beyond ego and illusion. In Western thought, René Descartes pointed toward the thinking self as a fundamental certainty, while spiritual traditions speak of the soul as the enduring essence of a person. Though these concepts differ in language, they converge in suggesting that there is more to us than what is immediately visible or socially defined. This deeper self does not disappear when roles shift; rather, it is the very ground upon which those roles are played.

I recall a moment in my classroom when I asked my students a simple yet unsettling question: If all your identity were erased; your grades, your experiences, your family, even your names, who would you be? The silence that followed was not empty; it was heavy with uncertainty. 

One student eventually answered, “Sir, parang wala po.” It was an honest response, and perhaps one that many of us, if pressed deeply enough, would share. We live in a world that conditions us to equate worth with accomplishment, identity with experiences, and value with titles and names. In such a framework, to lose one’s roles feels like losing oneself.

This is particularly evident in a society where expectations are deeply ingrained. In our cultural context, one is expected to fulfill certain roles with diligence: to be a successful student, a responsible provider, a contributing member of society. These expectations are not inherently wrong; they give direction and purpose. However, they can become burdensome when they begin to define our entire being. We start to measure ourselves solely by how well we perform these roles, and when we fall short, we do not merely feel that we have failed, we feel that we are failures. This subtle shift from doing to being is where much of our inner struggle begins.

Roles, then, can be understood as masks, necessary for social interaction, yet not identical to the face beneath them. The danger lies not in wearing these masks, but in forgetting that we are wearing them.

When we over-identify with our roles, we become defensive when they are challenged, anxious when they are threatened, and lost when they are taken away. We begin to live as though our entire existence is confined to these external definitions. Yet if we pause and reflect, we may begin to see that we are not the roles themselves, but the consciousness that assumes them.

Theosophy presents the human being as a multi-layered existence, composed of the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual dimensions. Beneath these layers lies a deeper essence that is not bound by success or failure, praise or criticism, gain or loss. This essence is not something we create; it is something we uncover. The journey, therefore, is not about becoming someone entirely new, but about remembering who we are beyond the noise of expectations and the weight of imposed identities.

As a teacher of philosophy and Theosophy, I have come to accept that this question "Who am I beyond my roles?", does not demand a final, fixed answer. Instead, it invites a continuous process of reflection.

I find that I am the awareness behind my thoughts, the presence that remains even as circumstances change, the quiet center that is not easily shaken by the shifting roles I inhabit. This realization does not remove responsibility; rather, it allows me to engage with my roles more freely, without being entirely defined by them.

Perhaps this is the deeper invitation for all of us. In moments of stillness, away from the noise of daily obligations, we can begin to ask ourselves: Who am I when no one is watching? Who am I without titles, without validation, without expectation? These are not questions to be answered hastily, for their depth requires patience and honesty. They are not problems to be solved, but realities to be discovered through lived experience.

In the end, roles will inevitably change. Titles will fade, circumstances will shift, and life will continue its unpredictable course. But if we learn to anchor ourselves not in what we do, but in what we are, we may find a sense of stability that is not easily disturbed. We come to realize that we are not merely the roles we perform, but the enduring presence that gives life to those roles. And in that realization, there is a quiet freedom, one that allows us to participate fully in life without losing ourselves in it.

Note: This is a curated work and original idea and beliefs of the author, assisted by AI tools for organization, rewording and proofreading of the contents.


Comments

  1. Anonymous19 March

    We are here to know who we are. the christ or Jesus Christ he or she is not a God. All of as is a God experience itself. The man who called jesus is level consousnes. The true we are hare to uplift the earth in high vibration. To help earth back to 5d dimension. There's is no fear hate. Only love ang light.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment