Can Helping Others Help You Find Meaning in Life?


I recently came across an article from Greater Good Magazine titled “Can Helping Others Help You Find Meaning in Life?”, and it made me pause—not because the idea was new, but because it clearly explained something I have already seen and felt in my own life. The article explores a simple but powerful truth: helping others does not only benefit them—it also gives our own lives a deeper sense of meaning.

As I reflected on it, I realized how often we chase happiness in the wrong places. We tend to think that life will feel good when things become easier, when we achieve more, or when we finally reach our goals. But the article suggests something different. It points out that meaning—the kind that lasts—often comes from contributing to others. And when I think about my own experiences, especially in teaching, I can say that this is true.

In the classroom, I see this idea come to life in small but meaningful ways. There was a time when one of my students stayed after class to help a classmate who was struggling in their subject. No one asked him to do it. There was no reward waiting. Yet he chose to help. Another class also have a way of reviewing their lessons by inviting all their classmates who wants help and altogether review for the next examination. What struck me was not just the act itself, but how they felt afterward. They were more relaxed, more engaged, and somehow more confident. It was as if helping someone else helped them feel better about themselves too.

This is exactly what I realize; when we help others, we experience a sense of purpose. We begin to feel that what we do matters. And that feeling is powerful. It goes beyond temporary happiness—it becomes something deeper and more stable.

I also see this in my role as a mentor. There are days when I feel tired from responsibilities, deadlines, and the demands of teaching. But when I spend time guiding a student, listening to their concerns, or encouraging them to keep going, something shifts. Even if I started the day feeling drained, I often end it feeling fulfilled. The tiredness is still there, but it is accompanied by a sense of meaning. I am originally an introverted teacher, but I stretch myself to listen to their concerns. 

The article helped me understand why this happens. It explains that human beings are naturally wired for connection. When we help others, we strengthen that connection. We move beyond ourselves and become part of something larger. And in that process, we find purpose.

This idea is not limited to the classroom. In family life, I see it just as clearly. Simple acts—like helping with household chores, taking care of a child, or being present during difficult moments—may seem ordinary, but they carry deep meaning. Just last month, I felt tired of attending to my two month old baby, but whenever I am thinking about the betterment of my child, my energy returns and I am happily inspired by it. I felt that what I was doing had value.

Even in everyday situations, service shows its power. Asking someone, how are you, offering help to a stranger, or simply choosing to be kind instead of indifferent—these are small acts, but they create a ripple effect. They remind us that goodness still exists, and that we can be part of it.

The article also mentions that helping others can improve our well-being. From my own experience, I can say that this is true. There is a certain kind of peace that comes from knowing you have made a difference, no matter how small. It is not the same as excitement or pleasure. It is quieter, but deeper.

I was reminded of this during a recent literacy program conducted by my students. They worked with young learners, helping them read and build confidence. I noticed that my students were sometimes tired, especially after long sessions. But despite that, they kept going. And more importantly, they were happy. Not the kind of happiness that comes from rest or reward, but the kind that comes from knowing they were helping someone grow. It was clear that their efforts gave them a sense of purpose, and the learners they interacted felt inspired by them.

What I appreciate most about the article is that it does not present service as something complicated. It does not require grand actions or big achievements. Instead, it highlights the importance of simple, consistent acts of helping others. It reminds me that meaning is not found in extraordinary moments alone, but in everyday choices.

It also challenges me to rethink what success means. If success is only about personal gain, then it can feel empty. But if success includes making a positive impact on others, then it becomes more meaningful. It becomes something that not only benefits me, but also contributes to the lives of others.

As I continue in my journey as an educator and mentor, this perspective becomes even more important. Teaching is not just about delivering lessons—it is about shaping lives. And in doing so, I am also shaping my own sense of purpose. That is why I am happy that some of my students are pursuing Education, because I believe that their existence will be a great influence for the next generation.

In the end, the message of the article is simple, but powerful: helping others helps us too. It gives us meaning, strengthens our connections, and reminds us that life is not just about what we achieve, but about how we contribute.

When I look at my students, my family, and even my own experiences, I see this truth clearly. Life feels good—not when everything is perfect, but when what we do matters to someone else. And often, the easiest way to feel that is to serve.

Because in serving others, we do not lose ourselves—we find ourselves.


Read More: Hopper, E. (2016, February 16). Can helping others help you find meaning in life? Greater Good Magazine: https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/can_helping_others_help_you_find_meaning_in_life


Note: This is a curated work and original idea and beliefs of the author, assisted by AI tools for organization, rewording and proofreading of the contents.

Comments