In today’s world, silence has become rare. Everywhere we go, there is noise—notifications from phones, endless conversations online, traffic, deadlines, responsibilities, political quagmire and the constant pressure to keep moving. Many people are busy every day, yet quietly feel tired, anxious, disconnected, or even lost within themselves. Ironically, modern life has made communication easier, but understanding oneself has become more difficult.
This is why silence, prayer, and meditation remain important. They create space for a person to pause, reflect, and reconnect not only with God or spirituality, but also with the deeper parts of oneself that are often ignored in the noise of everyday life.
As a teacher and student affairs officer, I constantly interact with students carrying invisible burdens. Some struggle academically, others emotionally, financially, or mentally. Many young people today appear strong outside, but inside they are overwhelmed by pressure, comparison, uncertainty, and the fear of failing in life. What I noticed through the years is that many people rarely spend time alone with their own thoughts. They are always distracted—by gadgets, social media, entertainment, or the expectations of society. Yet when a person never learns to sit in silence, they may slowly lose connection with who they truly are.
Silence has a strange but powerful way of revealing truth. At first, silence feels uncomfortable because it removes distractions. I see it among my students when I practice meditation in the class. Without noise, people begin hearing the thoughts they usually avoid—fears, regrets, insecurities, unresolved pain, and unanswered questions, and these are uncomfortable. But eventually, silence also allows clarity to emerge. A person begins to understand what truly matters and what does not.
I was a hiker for many years, and I realize the essence of silence when I hike. When hiking mountains or walking through forests, there are moments when the world becomes quiet except for the sound of the wind, footsteps, birds, or flowing water. In those moments, something changes internally. Life begins to feel simpler and more real. Problems that once felt overwhelming suddenly appear smaller compared to the vastness of nature. Hiking teaches humility because mountains do not care about social status, achievements, or ego. Nature has a way of stripping away pretensions and reminding a person of their humanity.
Sometimes, after a long hike, I sit silently overlooking the mountains or the sea. No music. No phone. No conversation. Just silence. And strangely, those quiet moments often become moments of realization. I begin reflecting on my life, my responsibilities as a father, husband, teacher, and servant to others. Silence becomes a mirror where I can honestly examine myself.
Prayer, meanwhile, deepens this process because it connects self-reflection with spirituality. Many people think prayer is simply asking God for blessings or help, but prayer can also become a form of inner honesty. In prayer, people confront themselves. They acknowledge fears, weaknesses, mistakes, hopes, and desires. Genuine prayer humbles a person because it reminds us that despite our achievements, we are still limited human beings seeking guidance and meaning.
As a family man with two children, I realized that prayer also changes the way a person loves and relates to others. In my family, although not very regularly, we often do prayer before and after night meals. It is an important routine that I find value because it restarts our connection with the family and to the divine.
Meditation also plays an important role in knowing oneself. Unlike the fast pace of modern life, meditation trains a person to become present. Many people today are physically present but mentally distracted. While eating, they scroll through phones. While talking to loved ones, they think about work. While resting, their minds remain restless. Meditation teaches awareness. It allows a person to observe thoughts and emotions without immediately reacting to them.
As a meditator, I learned that many human problems come from inner chaos. Sometimes people are angry not because of the situation itself, but because they never processed their stress, trauma, or insecurities properly. Meditation creates emotional space. It teaches patience, mindfulness, and self-awareness. A person who understands their own emotions becomes less reactive and more compassionate toward others.
Silence, prayer, and meditation also help people confront deeper existential questions. Who am I beyond my achievements? What kind of life am I building? What truly matters in the end? Modern society often conditions people to constantly chase productivity, recognition, wealth, or validation. Yet many who achieve these things still feel empty inside. This is because external success alone cannot fully satisfy the inner search for meaning.
In silence, people begin distinguishing between what society expects from them and what genuinely gives life purpose. Prayer reminds people that they are part of something greater than themselves. Meditation teaches them to become aware of the present moment instead of being trapped by fear, regret, or endless distraction. Together, these practices allow a person not only to think about life, but to deeply encounter oneself.
Ultimately, the role of silence, prayer, and meditation in knowing oneself is not about escaping reality. Rather, it is about facing reality more honestly. These practices slow people down enough to reflect on who they are becoming beneath all the noise, responsibilities, and expectations of modern life.
In the end, perhaps self-knowledge is not found in constant activity or endless information, but in moments when a person becomes still enough to listen—to life, to others, to God, and to the quiet truths hidden within oneself.
Note: This is a curated work and original idea and beliefs of the author, assisted by AI tools for organization, rewording and proofreading of the contents.

Comments
Post a Comment